Oterra’s High Strength Powders Make Working with Reds Easy
Eye-catching and stable, Oterra’s high strength ColorFruit® Red powders are making a powerful impact.
Global Communication & Media Manager
Bold, bright, natural red shades are must-haves for confectionery, beverage, ice cream, edible ice and bakery products. These vibrant red, pink, and violet shades not only look appetizing and eye-catching, but they also add an element of fun and excitement to food. Plus being natural means, they meet consumer demand for simple, natural ingredients!
However, for food and beverage manufacturers wanting to use robust, bold natural colors, reds can present several challenges. To help food manufacturers overcome these challenges, Oterra embarked on an intensive innovation program. Two years later the result is ColorFruit® Red 107 WSP and ColorFruit® Red 108 WSP, each with unique characteristics.
ColorFruit® Red 107 WSP
A dark red powder produced by extracting anthocyanin pigments from the award-winning Hansen Sweet Potato™, Red 107 has great heat and light stability, no off-flavor, and is significantly less pH sensitive than other red anthocyanin-based powders. It gives a vibrant strawberry red and pink shade to applications.
ColorFruit® Red 108 WSP
A red water-soluble powder, Red 108 is produced by extracting anthocyanins from black carrots. It gives an intense raspberry red to violet shade depending on the application and has good heat and light stability, as well as no off-flavor.
Besides being easy to work with there’s an abundance of extra benefits:
• Being high strength means you use less color, which means less impact on the food matrix.
• Transportation costs are lower as you can use less and still achieve intense reds.
• There’s no need for refrigeration – both in the warehouse and under transportation.
• They offer a truly comprehensive range of shades that can be used in all applications.
• Both powders can be clearly and simply labeled as a vegetable juice in the US, or as an anthocyanin in the EU.
• Palm oil free, and Kosher and Halal certified.
• They are vegetarian and hence suitable for plant-based alternatives.
With natural vibrant reds now achievable in beverage, confectionery, ice cream, edible ice, and bakery products, food manufacturers can make the switch to natural without sacrificing intensity. A symbol of optimism and excitement, these bright, energy-boosting plant-based reds are already making a powerful impact. We have a range of high-strength powders available to create a rainbow of colors, including yellow, orange, red, pink, blue, green, brown, and white, all from natural sources.
"With natural vibrant reds now achievable in beverage, confectionery, ice cream, edible ice, and bakery products, food manufacturers can make the switch to natural without sacrificing intensity."